Akshata Murthy Biography: an Indian businesswoman and fashion designer, is based in Britain. She is married to Rishi Sunak, who is currently serving as the 57th Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. Furthermore, she is the daughter of N.R. Narayana Murthy, one of the co-founders of Infosys, a multinational IT company.
Akshata Murthy Biography
Akshata Murty, who is currently 42 years old as of 2022, was born in April 1980 in Hubli, Karnataka. She received her education at Baldwin Girls High School in Bangalore before pursuing her undergraduate degree in Economics & French at Claremont McKenna College in California. In addition, she obtained a diploma in Apparel Manufacturing Technology from the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising in Los Angeles. She furthered her education by completing an MBA at Stanford University Graduate School of Business, also located in California.
Akshata Murthy Biography Born & College
Akshata Narayan Murty
25 April 1980
Hubli, Karnataka, India
|Known for||Spouse of the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (2022–present)|
|Relatives||Rohan Murty (brother)|
Akshata Murty Biography Grandparents & School
Her maternal grandparents were R. H. Kulkarni, a surgeon, and his wife Vimala Kulkarni, a school teacher. In the 1990s Murty attended Baldwin Girls’ High School, Bangalore, and in 1998 studied economics and French at Claremont McKenna College in California. She has a diploma in clothes manufacturing from the Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising and a Master of Business Administration from Stanford University.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
A. Akshata Murthy is a well-known businesswoman, fashion designer, and venture capitalist. Born in a Hindu-Brahmin family, she is the daughter of Indian billionaire couple N.R.Narayan Murthy and Sudha Murthy. Despite being the wife of Rishi Sunak, who is currently serving as the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and leader of the Conservative Party, Akshata has made a name for herself through her successful ventures and contributions to various industries.
Her expertise in finance and investment has helped her establish multiple successful businesses, making her a respected figure in the business world. Additionally, her passion for fashion led her to launch her own clothing line in 2010, which has received widespread recognition for its unique designs and high-quality materials.
Akshata Narayana Murty born 25 April 1980) is an Indian heiress, businesswoman, fashion designer, and venture capitalist. She is married to Rishi Sunak, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and leader of the Conservative Party. According to the Sunday Times Rich List, Murty and Sunak are the 222nd richest people in Britain as of 2022, with a combined wealth of £730 million (US$830 million)
Early life and education
Akshata Murty was born in April 1980 in Hubli, India, and was raised by her maternal grandparents while her father N. R. Narayana Murthy and her mother Sudha Murty worked to launch their technology company, Infosys.Her mother was the first female engineer to work for the TATA Engineering and Locomotive Company, then India’s largest car maker, and later became a philanthropist. Murty has one brother, Rohan Murty and they were brought up in Jayanagar, a suburb of Bangalore.
Akshata Murthy Boyfriend
Marital Bliss with Rishi Sunak 2009 was a defining year for Akshata as she tied the knot with Rishi Sunak. Their family blossomed with the arrival of their daughters, Krishna and Anoushka.
Akshata Murthy Husband
She is married to Rishi Sunak, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and leader of the Conservative Party. According to the Sunday Times Rich List, Murty and Sunak are the 222nd richest people in Britain as of 2022, with a combined wealth of £730 million (US$830 million).
Parents & Siblings
N. R. Narayana Murthy, the co-founder of Infosys, is her father. Her mother, Sudha Murthy , is one of the founders of ‘Infosys Foundation.’ She has a younger brother called Rohan Murty, who founded the ‘Murty Classical Library of India.’
Husband & Children
Rishi Sunak, the 57th Prime Minister of the UK, is married to Akshata Murty. Their wedding took place on 30 August 2009 at Leela Palace Hotel in Bangalore and was a simple affair. The ceremony was attended by notable individuals from India such as Azim Premji, Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw, Anil Kumble, Nandan M Nilekani, Captain G.R. Gopinath, Prakash Padukone, Syed Kirmani, Girish Karnad, and others.
Akshata Murty and Rishi Sunak’s relationship began when they met while pursuing their post-graduation in California. Their friendship grew, and they eventually started dating each other. Akshata is the daughter of Narayana Murthy, the co-founder of IT giant Infosys, and Rishi is a British politician who currently serves as the Chancellor of the Exchequer in the UK government. The couple got married in 2009 and has two daughters together.
Akshata Murty has Indian citizenship. While talking about not having any plans to change her citizenship, Akshata’s spokesperson said, Akshata Murty is a citizen of India, the country of her birth and her parents’ home. India does not allow its citizens to hold the citizenship of another country simultaneously.”
Before pursuing her MBA, she worked at Unilever and Deloitte for a short period of time. After completing her MBA, Akshata joined Tendris, a Dutch cleantech Incubator Fund as a marketing director in the year 2007. She launched her own clothing line in 2009. On starting her own business, she said,
I understand that there may be some curiosity around what I’m doing given my parents’ achievements, but I hope that one day this business is able to stand on its own feet and I’m able to speak on its merit rather than anything else. This is my passion and I couldn’t imagine being engaged in anything else but the business of this venture.”
In 2013, she became the director of Catamaran Ventures. She started working as a member of the Board of Claremont McKenna College and the San Francisco Exploratorium in 2017. She is the director of two companies named New & Lingwood, which is a menswear company, and Digme Fitness, a gym chain.
Akshata Murthy Bio/Wiki
|Profession||• Venture capitalist
• Fashion designer
|Famous For||Being the daughter of Infosys co-founder, N. R. Narayana Murthy and wife of Rishi Sunak, the first person of color to become prime minister in British history|
In April 2022, Akshata Murty was questioned over her income tax status in Britain. According to some media reports, she claimed a non-domiciled tax status in the UK that exempted her to pay taxes on dividend benefits received from overseas companies. Following this, her husband, Rishi Sunak, faced allegations over his wife’s income from Russia, where Murthy’s company Infosys was operating even during the Russia-Ukraine War. Later, in a statement, Infosys announced the withdrawal of its services from Russia. 
Assets & Properties
- A 12-acre Georgian Manor house in the Yorkshire village of Kirby Sigston worth around £1.5 million. Reportedly, this property is owned by Akshata Murty.
- A penthouse apartment on Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica, California worth £7.5 million. This property is registered under Akshata’s name.
- A mews mansion in Kensington, West London worth £6.6 million. This property is owned by Rishi Sunak.
- A first-floor flat in Old Brompton Road, Kensington worth $300,000. Rishi Sunak owns this property.
In 2022, the combined net worth of her and her husband, Rishi Sunak, is approximately $810 million. According to the Sunday Times Rich List 2022, the couple was ranked 222 on the list of the wealthiest individuals.
- She was brought up by her grandparents in Hubli while her parents were struggling in their professional lives.
- Akshata owns 0.93% shares of Infosys, which is around $700 million.
- She is one of the richest women in the UK. Reportedly, her net worth was more than the late Queen Elizabeth II, whose net worth was around $460 million.
- Before Rishi Sunak participated in the Prime Ministerial elections in 2022, Rishi and Akshata, reportedly, spent $450,000 to install a 40-foot swimming pool, a gym and an outdoor tennis court in their Yorkshire manor house in Kirby Sigston.
- She spells her surname differently from her father’s and removed ‘h’ from Murthy.
- Reportedly, Akshata has undeclared shares in some other firms in the UK including a joint venture with Amazon India.
Richest Families In World
- In an interview, while remembering a class on work-life balance at Stanford University, she shared how she was brought up in one of the richest families in India and said,
- What was interesting was this whole discussion about how women have to juggle work-life balance, especially in the corporate world.
- I was sort of puzzled because I grew up in a family of very strong women… so I never thought it was just a woman’s job to have this work-life balance. It was the family’s job to have this balance.”
Restaurants & Other Business
- She holds 50% of Sierra Nevada Restaurants, an Indian firm that runs 4 outlets of Wendy’s in New Delhi, and she owns 100% of Dolomite Restaurants, a private organisation, which holds 11 Indian franchises of British chef Jamie Oliver’s restaurant chains.
- In Sudha Menon’s “Legacy: Letters from eminent parents to their daughters,” there is a letter for Akshata, written by her father. A few lines of the letter.
Akshata Murthy Children
Akshata Murthy and Rishi Sunak have been married since 2009, the couple has two adorable daughters Anushka Sunak and Krishna Sunak. The Prime Minister frequently shares heartwarming photographs featuring his wife, Akshata, and their lovely daughters.
Akshata Murthy Responsibilites
- Becoming a father transformed me in ways that I could never have thought possible.
- I could never go back to being the person I used to be before.
- Your arrival in my life brought unimaginable joy and a larger responsibility.
- I was no more just a husband, a son, or a promising employee of a fast-growing company. I was a father, who had to measure up to the expectations his daughter would have of him at every stage of her life.”
- In an interview, her husband, Rishi Sunak, revealed that he is very organised while on the other hand, Akshata is messy and spontaneous, he said,
- I’m incredibly tidy, she’s very messy. I’m much more organised, she is more spontaneous.
- She is not going to love me for saying this, but I’ll be honest with you, she is not big on the whole tidying thing.
- She is a total nightmare, clothes everywhere… and shoes… oh God shoes.”
- According to sources, Akshata works with craftsmen living in remote villages in India to create clothes with a fusion of Indian and western cultures.
Who is Akshata Murthy?
Akshata Murthy is the daughter of Indian billionaire couple N.R. Narayan Murthy and Sudha Murthy. She is the wife of Rishi Sunak, who is the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and leader of the Conservative Party but has her own identity as a businesswoman, fashion designer, and venture capitalist.
Who are Akshata Murthy’s parents?
Akshata Murty is the daughter of N. R. Narayana Murthy, who is the co-founder of Infosys, a leading multinational IT company.
Why has Akshata Murthy been in the news?
Akshata Murthy has been in the news due to her tax affairs being leaked to the media. She later confirmed her decision to pay UK taxes on all her income.
Has Akshata Murthy participated in any political trips?
Yes, Akshata Murty made a notable entrance during her first foreign political trip as the wife of the UK Prime Minister, Rishi Sunak.